Role Description (Job Brief / Description)
The ideal candidate for our Senior Information Technology Engineer role will collaborate with the Consulting & Design team members at slashBlue, client team members and project stakeholders, and other slashBlue team members to ensure the project deliverables are completed on time and within budget, aligned with the investment roadmap to achieve the needed result for the client while working diligently and making adjustments to project plans with a clear understanding of the impact to overarching initiatives and the final result for the client, namely, transformation.
Why join us?
At slashBlue, we believe purpose precedes technology. We first help clients get in touch with their purpose, then apply the right technology to help them live it out. As an IT services provider we’ve helped transform and grow purposeful organizations across the Twin Cities and beyond by providing expertise in Business and Technology Consulting, IT Design, and Support Services.
While we do organizational performance, technology consulting, and support, this is just a means to a greater end!
Purpose pushes technology.
It’s the real mother of invention. Necessity would never have felt the need to get off the ground nonetheless lay the coolest set of tire tracks ever on Mars. Purpose’s unrelenting desire to understand the universe put that rover there, and purpose is the force that moves humanity forward.
We believe in purpose. We know tapping into it is how real progress is made. If we sound more like XPRIZE than an IT services firm, that’s not by mistake. We’re catalysts too, called to advance the world one client at a time. Our way is to put purpose first and let technology follow. For us, technology is never the solution, it’s simply the tool—a supercool tool at that—but still just a tool.
Purpose is where it all starts—each day and on each client project. We know changed people are the real agents of change and organizational growth happens when technology is a means to achieve a purpose. Each one of us is dedicated to this ideal. It’s in all that we do, from performance consulting to IT design to support services. We’re pointing the lens back to where it belongs—where there is purpose, there is progress.
Who are we?
The key responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to the following:
LISTEN - Consult with the slashBlue Investment Design Engineer to determine the needs of the client (20% of role)
Assist with the Assessment of Client Needs and Requirements
- Assess each client’s IT needs based on a variety of factors including both internal needs to support employee activities, as well as client-facing IT elements. In this aspect of the role, the Senior Information Technology Engineer gathers extensive data and requirements related to technology usage, client business metrics, and determines the organization’s data, workflow, infrastructure, security, and other technology needs, as well as desired outcomes and future needs.
- Improve Process Efficiency - identify and utilize methods to improve current processes and uses of technology to better align them with business goals. After examining the client’s current capabilities and requirements, the Senior Information Technology Engineer may determine that new technologies are unnecessary and that improved processes and utilization of existing systems makes more sense for the client. The Senior Information Technology Engineer then leads in guiding personnel on more efficient and effective methodologies.
- Facilitate technical discussions and white boarding for project integrations and technical solutions from one to many technical applications.
- Provide technical, business consulting, and product expertise to customers enabling comprehensive solution to be selected.
Assist with the Examination of IT Capabilities
- In addition to gathering needs and business requirements, the Senior Information Technology Engineer also analyzes the client’s current IT capabilities. This can involve highly technical assessments of system capabilities, security methods and technologies, and personnel training and expertise. The Senior Information Technology Engineer examines these elements of an organization’s IT infrastructure both independently and in tandem to fully understand the client’s IT operations.
Assist with Identifying Needed Resources, Potential IT Issues, and Present Solution(s)
- While examining each client’s current IT structure and capabilities, the Senior Information Technology Engineer also identifies potential flaws or issues within the IT systems. While this primarily involves examining technologies and systems for design flaws, potential sources of failure, and security vulnerabilities, it can also include examining organization-wide policies for data management and determining whether the client’s training materials adequately address potential IT adoption challenges.
- Determine the scope of the technology solution implementation and the resources required too successfully complete.
- Identify use cases, roles, and other business requirements for each solution.
- Produce client facing proposals.
CRAFT - Create a technology solution to meet the business objectives and goals (50% of role)
- Craft solutions by preparing and evaluating alternative solutions.
- Develop specification diagrams and workflows for designs to follow.
- Specify inputs and outputs to meet user needs.
- Use techniques such as proformas, model building, and structured analysis, along with accounting principles, to ensure the solutions are efficient, cost-effective, and financially feasible.
- Coordinate with users to track additional requirements and features.
- Document interfaces between new and legacy systems.
- Build/create innovative technology solution(s).
- Collaborate with IT team and outside resource to build and create new solution(s).
- Validate changes by testing solution.
- Track progress of Implementation projects and tasks.
- Ensure all CRAFT phase deadlines are met and scheduling issues resolved.
TRANSFORM - Oversee implementation and initiation of the solution to validate transformation (20% of role)
- Control solution by establishing adoption goals and coordinating transition with key stakeholders.
- Conduct implementation pilots and help customer envision final solution.
- Ensure adoption by providing documentation for training client personnel and providing support.
- Support training of clients on the essentials of a solution to get them started on adoption.
- Develop risk mitigation plans.
- Transition solution(s) to clients.
- Ensure solution accomplishes goals and organization mission for desired results.
- Ensure all TRANSFORM phase deadlines are met and scheduling issues resolved.
ONGOING STEWARDSHIP (10% of role)
- Stay up to date with current technologies and technical developments.
- Provide Technology Advice and Guidance - work closely with Chief Technology Officer (CTO) and Investment Designer to provide recommendations and guidance on IT technologies, services, and solutions. This guidance can range from improving IT standards and policies to implementing entirely new systems and solutions to address the organization’s current and future IT needs including scalability, security, automation, and innovation.
- Identify areas for process improvement within slashBlue and make recommendations to Management.
Reports to Chief Technology Officer.
- Minimum of:
- 5-7 years professional experience in formal business environment
- 5-7 years technology solution engineering experience, ideally in consulting environment
- Experience with a wide variety of technologies highly desired (cloud applications / data / security / server / storage / routing & switching / wireless / mobile devices / automation / analytics / line of business apps / etc...)
- Bachelor’s Degree desired, with a strong desire for lifetime learning mindset
- Microsoft, Cisco, ITIL, other technical/technology framework education or certifications a plus
- Ability to pay attention to details and be organized
- Ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to project a professional image in writing, over the phone, on a video call, and in person
- Strong Interpersonal skills and ability to work with difficult clients and defuse tense situations.
- Ability to work with staff and clients at all levels
- Ability to solve complex project problems, solving them effectively and efficiently
- Crisp decision-making skills to make decisions quickly with good judgment
- Customer service skills to engage novices to expert, calm to irate
- Experience and comfort in managing project tasks, technical resources, and client expectations
- Experience with any of the following are a plus: Liquid Planner, Business Intelligence tools, Knowledge Management tools, Business Process Management, Knowledge of data analysis, Knowledge of process design, ITIL, Lean for services, etc.
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Base + Bonus + Profit Sharing + Benefits
- Flex Time
- Monday thru Friday business hours schedule
- Annual training/development reimbursement
- Supportive, Friendly, Faith-friendly, Purposeful culture